Are you wondering why your teeth are not perfectly white even if you brush them diligently multiple times a day? Don’t worry; you are not alone. It’s one of the most common questions for many people, and some even get frustrated because they want to have whiter teeth.
Allow us to tell you why your teeth don’t get whiter just by brushing. Here are the reasons why your teeth are not white even if you brush them every day:
1. Teeth Are Not Supposed to Be White
Before you get frustrated, you must know that teeth are not supposed to be white. The concept of perfectly white teeth is just a myth long perpetuated by the media. The truth is that it is only possible if someone photoshopped your teeth or if you use filters on photographs. No matter what you do, your teeth will always appear slightly off-white because that is their natural state.
Why is that so? Because the structure of your teeth is composed of dentin and enamel, making them appear discolored in real life. No amount of toothpaste or brushing frequency can make your teeth look perfectly white, especially if you are born with dark dentin.
2. You Will Always Stain Your Teeth
Another reason why your teeth don’t become white through brushing is that you will always stain them. Meaning, you will constantly consume food or drink or develop some habits, like smoking, that can stain your teeth.
Just so you know, smoking, drinking coffee, cola, and wine can stain your teeth. So, even if you brush every day, your teeth will not become lighter because you regularly consume items that cause stains.
3. Brushing Your Teeth Is Not Meant to Whiten Them
Another fact that you should remember is that tooth brushing is not meant to whiten teeth. When you brush your teeth, you work to remove plaque buildup and prevent cavities. While some toothpaste claims that they can whiten teeth, they will only provide you with a limited effect that is hardly noticeable.
How Can You Make Your Teeth Whiter?
As mentioned, having perfectly white teeth is nearly impossible. However, you can try some things that can improve the appearance and color of your teeth.
If you want to make your teeth whiter, you can try some of the following:
1. Take OTC Teeth Whitening Treatments - There are over-the-counter (OTC) remedies that can offer some lightening benefits to your teeth. However, you must note that these treatments have very limited effects. Treatments like whitening strips, mouthwash, and toothpaste only come into contact with the surface of tooth enamel, so they will only get surface-level stains out, which will not last for long.
2. Get an In-Office Whitening Treatment - Another course of action you can take to brighten your teeth is an in-office whitening treatment. Here, a professional dentist will work on brightening your teeth with certain chemicals. They will perform the best treatment depending on the condition of your teeth, and you can ensure that they will provide you with long-lasting results.
Now that you know why tooth brushing is not the perfect solution to whiten your teeth, you don’t have to brush hard just to get the perfect color you desire. Brush like you normally would, and don’t get frustrated if you don’t see them look lighter. If you want to brighten your teeth, book an appointment for in-office whitening treatment so you can get noticeable results.
Dental House MI offers the best in-office teeth whitening in Waterford. Our teeth bleaching treatment is a safe, quick, painless, and inexpensive procedure that can make your teeth look much lighter. Book your teeth whitening appointment with us today!