Invisalign is the latest dental treatment and a more “advanced” alternative to traditional braces. If you don’t want metals on your mouth, Invisalign does the job. Like most dental appliances, Invisalign requires maintenance and proper TLC.
“How and what should I eat when I have Invisalign on?” is one of the most frequently asked questions surrounding this dental appliance. Here’s a guide on the food you can’t eat and things you shouldn’t do when wearing your Invisalign.
Eating While Wearing Invisalign
There are so many great things about Invisalign, and one of them is that you can take them off. With that, you need to always take off your trays when you’re eating and drinking, except when drinking water.
It’s not advisable to eat with your Invisalign; otherwise, this can damage your trays due to the force of your teeth when you chew. Eating with Invisalign trays can cause them to crack or get stains.
So, to answer your question, all you need to remember is to take your Invisalign trays off before you indulge!
Does that mean there are no food restrictions at all? Well, there still some you need to take in moderation, such as:
- Coffee and wine: Dark-colored liquids with Invisalign can stain your teeth and your aligners.
- Hot drinks: Hot drinks can distort the shape of your aligners due to their hot temperature.
- Sugary drinks: Sodas and other sugary beverages can feed the bacteria in the mouth that can promote tooth decay and bad breath.
- Gum: Chewing gum with your trays on can cause your aligners to crack or become damaged.
- Hard foods: Hard foods can push your teeth out of alignment or cause chips or cracks in your teeth.
- Sticky/chewy items: Sticky foods can remain on the surface of the teeth after you eat. In turn, they can cause a build-up of plaque and bacteria.
As mentioned, Invisalign requires proper TLC. Even though you don’t have them on while you eat, you need to care for them still after eating, and that is through keeping your teeth clean. Brush and floss your teeth before you put back your Invisalign trays to help prevent cavities and to avoid the buildup of bacteria under the trays.
If you’re caught in a situation where brushing your teeth after a meal is impossible, take a moment to rinse your trays with water thoroughly or chew sugar-free gum before you put them back on.
Make the Most Out of Invisalign Treatment
Indeed, Invisalign is one of the best dental treatments today. However, if you want to make the most out of it, you need to care for it well. Food restrictions with Invisalign may not be that extensive compared to other treatments, but there are still some foods you need to avoid if you have the aligners on. That’s why it’s crucial you make it a habit to take your Invisalign trays off when eating and drinking. Although it can sometimes be tedious, the effort will go a long way.
Are you interested in getting Invisalign? Most dentists offer this kind of treatment today, but you need to consult with a reliable one first to ensure you’re an excellent candidate for it.
For first-rateAnn Arbor dental care, Dental House MI is the place to go. We offer Invisalign treatment that starts at $89. Schedule an appointment with us today!