When looking for orthodontic alternatives, such as Invisalign aligners, it’s essential to know that not all braces are created equal. Understanding Invisalign’s unique advantages and disadvantages will be vital in making an informed decision on your care. This guide can help if you’re trying to determine if you should choose traditional braces or Invisalign instead.
How Invisalign Works
Invisalign uses clear and removable aligners made of smooth, comfortable and nearly invisible material that adheres to the teeth and helps move the teeth into the perfect position. Invisalign aligners replace traditional braces and are worn for 20 to 30 minutes each day. The aligners are changed out every two to three weeks. There’s minimal discomfort and little to no chance of food getting stuck in braces.
Advantages of Invisalign
Here are some of the benefits you can expect to enjoy when wearing Invisalign:
- Invisalign is completely removable, giving you the option to easily eat and drink without having to remove your aligners, unlike traditional braces.
- Invisalign is more discreet than traditional braces and can be removed easily, so you can smile freely without having to worry about how your teeth look.
- Invisalign offers great comfort as patients can eat and drink most food with the aligners in place.
- Invisalign can be used on some patients right away, unlike traditional braces.
- Invisalign aligners are removable, allowing you to take out your aligners and easily clean your mouth.
- There are no metal brackets or wires on your teeth, so it’s less likely that brushing your teeth will cause damage or discomfort.
- Invisalign is an affordable way to get straight teeth, with many Invisalign providers offering financing options to help make any treatment affordable.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
The following are some drawbacks of Invisalign:
- Invisalign is often more expensive than traditional braces
- During the early stages of treatment, aligners can feel awkward, but after a few weeks, this goes away
- Invisalign won’t work for every patient
- Invisalign aligners must be worn constantly to receive the full benefit and can’t be worn while sleeping
- You may experience some discomfort in the beginning, particularly with initial braces adjustments
- Invisalign is not recommended for pregnant women but may be used while breast-feeding
Invisalign vs Braces
If you’re interested in Invisalign or are wondering if they may be right for you, you’ll have to consider whether the advantages of Invisalign over traditional braces are worth the cost. The following are some of the differences you should be aware of:
Invisalign aligners are removable, meaning you can eat or drink most food types without removing them. Traditional braces have to be removed for most foods.
Invisalign can be used on some patients right away, unlike traditional braces. Some traditional braces require certain teeth to be neighboring teeth, delaying treatment.
There are no metal brackets or wires on your teeth, so it’s less likely that brushing your teeth will cause damage or discomfort. It’s also more comfortable when eating and drinking.
Invisalign is an affordable, discreet, comfortable, and versatile way to get the smile you’ve always wanted. The clear aligners are smooth, comfortable, and nearly invisible material. Patients can talk, eat, and drink comfortably with their aligners in place. It’s a perfect choice for someone who doesn’t want to wear traditional braces or wants more control over their dental care.
Emergency dentists at Dental House can help with your orthodontic needs. Our dentists are experts at providing patients with a straight smile and perfect jaw alignment, ensuring that the underlying structures are healthy and perform the way they were designed. If you’re looking for a dental clinic offering Invisalign in Waterford, call us at (947) 999-9909.