Invisalign aligners or trays are an excellent option for those looking for a discreet method of straightening the teeth. They are popularly known for being not too visible unless people look more deeply.
That being said, failing to take care of them properly might result in not-so-invisible aligners. Worse yet, it might hamper the efficacy of the treatment. Before you embarrass yourself, make sure you know how to care for your Invisalign the right way. To help you out, here are the tips you need to remember:
What You Should Do With Your Invisalign Aligners
Caring for your Invisalign aligners can be easy if you know the things you should do, which are:
- Upon waking up in the morning, make sure that you would take off your Invisalign and clean it separately as you also brush your teeth. Cleaning your mouth in the morning with the Invisalign still stuck in your mouth cleans neither the teeth nor the trays. Make sure to clean them individually and consider using a soft-bristled toothbrush when doing it.
- Do the same cleaning and rinsing steps at night before you put it back and go to sleep.
- Besides the morning and evening mandatory cleaning, you should also wash the aligners every time you remove them. Even if you did not eat or placed your tray in a clean container, it could still have saliva and plaque. These could result in buildup, which can be visually apparent later. Regular rising can be beneficial for your health too.
- Sometimes, even if you regularly rinse your Invisalign, it could be prone to bad smells over time. The dry saliva and plaque serve as the perfect home for bacteria which brings that smell. You can avoid this by brushing your aligners or soaking them once a day in your dentist's recommended mixture.
- More importantly, make sure that you brush and floss before you put them back, especially after eating. Doing that could prevent any food particles from getting trapped inside.
What You Should Not Do With Your Invisalign Aligners
If you remember these things to avoid, you could enjoy straighter teeth sooner.
- Do not leave your Invisalign anywhere. Aside from the danger that bacteria could bring to your health, you might lose it or end up breaking it. One way to prevent this problem is to carry a tray case wherever you go.
- Do not eat or drink while still wearing your aligners. While the need to take them out every time you drink or eat can be annoying, it is the best way to keep your trays in good condition. It might be easy to do these activities with your Invisalign on, especially if you have been wearing them for a long time, but keep in mind that food particles could end up getting stuck.
- Invisalign has a particular cleaning solution, so stick to it. It could be tempting, but avoid using toothpaste or colored and scented soaps to clean them. Instead of keeping it fresh and looking new, the mentioned cleaners could leave residues and cause tray discoloration.
The secret to having clean and Invisalign aligners is to stay equipped with the right cleaning materials. Make sure that you have the right tools for cleaning with you at all times. Keep one in your house and in a pouch you can bring anywhere. That way, you would be ready should an emergency occur.
If you have been thinking of getting Invisalign for yourself, we can help. Dental House Home of Dentistry is your source of quality and affordable Invisalign in Waterford. Aside from Invisalign, we also offer dental services, dentures, and dental implants to